A chronicle of the whimsical jaunts of this guy as he goes around some foreign places looking for food.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Losing a day here and there...

My apologies for the delay in posting. I was actually travelling from Amsterdam to Copenhagen (or KĂžbenhavn as it's more rightfully known) on the NachtZug (or night train) for about 15 hours. It was quite an experience. Sleeping sitting up is not altogether different than on an airplane, a little easier, but still difficult. Travelled with two sets of dirty Americans: the first, Austin and Sara, fresh out of college in Vermont and are set to be travelling for 4 months. They were hopping around Europe separately with the intent of meeting up later (as I am with Cameron). The second: Sam and Becky (I think) from Oregon (Portland Area) still in college, naive but adventurous still. Also travelling with the above two was a guy (whose name I didn't catch) from Davis, CA who had been studying abroad in Copenhagen for the past year. It was quite fascinating to have these short jaunts of interaction with the expectation that you will probably never see them again. It's exciting, but a little disheartening as well.

Because of this, I most certainly am looking forward to meeting up with Cameron in Stockholm. I realize (and if I stated this previously, I apologize) that I may not be as ready to be travelling alone as I had originally thought. It does take a feat of mental fortitude that I am still trying to master.

I stayed at the Sleep-in-Green hostel just north of city. I was in a room with 20 beds or so, and probably got a good 10 hours of sleep. It was rather sparse, but had a cozy little common area with VCR and Television. I tried to watch some bad move with Christopher Walken (YOU GOTTA RESPECT THE WALKEN!) called 'Reporter in the Warzone' or something like that. The subject was Walken, playing Don Stevens, the sensationalist TV reporter from ABS news, covering the civil war in Beirut in the early 80s. Highlights of the film, watching Walken attempt to pretend to be scared of gun fire, running comically from gun fire, and hearing him refer to Yassir Arafat as "Mr. A" in his silly voice. I would normally shy away from killing valuable sightseeing time with watching bad Eighties movies, but I was exhausted yesterday and will be back through Copenhagen with Cameron next week or so. I was so exhausted that yesterday, while waiting for the lockout period in the Hostel to end, I fell asleep on a shady bench by the river.

Tonight I'll be staying at a fairly affordable, modern looking hotel called the Cabb-Inn, right down the street from the train station. I think it's good for me to mix up the hosteling with the hoteling, as it can be very draining sleeping in the same place as 20 other kids.

Last night was the last day of the Copenhagen Jazz Festival. I am a bit sad that I didn't get to see more, but I saw about 4 great acts ranging from lounge jazz to some wicked experimental jazz to a dixie-land style marching band. These Danes know how to boogie. It seemed like everywhere I walked, I could faintly hear the distant playing of another act, in fact, that's exactly how I found all of them.

It's terribly hot here, which was not the case down in Amsterdam. I feels a great deal like SoCal. I came here to be cold, not to be warm! After I get my hotel room, I may consider trying to find a swimmin' hole.

Enough of this idle chit-chat, adventure awaits... in the form of a nice, cold glass of Carlberg.

I'm Audi 5000!

4 Comments:

Anonymous mamma san said...

Thought I might send you a greeting. We sure are enjoying your daily blog. It's quite the topic of family conversation these days!!! Sounds like you're having a good time, but I know it will be nice when Cameron joins you. It's always more fun to share the experience with someone. I hope you won't be forgetting a souvenir or two for your momma san. I have nothing special in mind, just whatever you would like to bring me. Things are fine here. Summer has arrived! Love you and think of you every day! Bye for now.

7/11/2005 5:44 PM  
Anonymous mamma san said...

I miss you, Casey.

7/11/2005 9:20 PM  
Anonymous B R A D said...

A day here a day there. What you gonna do. Mags and I trying to walk around the apartment in our underwear whenever it seems appropriate. :)

Have to admit that was my misnomer on the previous comment. Thought Maggie was posting a second comment. So the 2nd mamma san is really Maggie san.

Thanks for the Voice Mail. I'll keep it on the machine for a while as a substitute for you. Maraiah Carey? Ewwww!

The new stang is getting delivered tomorrow. I'll also be playing some golf. One step closer to joining the guild, and Mags and I's Kswiss site looks ever more promising.

Keep it up!!!

B R A D

7/11/2005 9:27 PM  
Anonymous "The Old Ones" said...

What a trip you had and it sounds a touch like you are going to need to hone your skills with regards to digging somebody out of the pile of whatever it is you are finding which represents a possible conversational carbon type life form. We know the world is full of them and it's interesting that you have located 3 such specimens in such a short period of time. Of course, we all hope the best for them and trust that in due time they will learn all about soap even if it's metaphoric. Glad to hear that it's possible to wrench an acceptable amount of sleep out of the RR chairs, being lulled to sleep by the click click which comes up from the joints in the rails where they are welded together. Please don't advise me that the degree of sophistication on this Orient Express type vehicle includes all that rail work. There are good days and nights to remember from the past if one would only take the time to dig for it. If only Shakespear had been able to ride the rails...."what manner of travel is this which has found such a way to distribute your ....." We are having such a good time, along with your folks in reading about your travels and adventures. Thank you for sharing. Love you.

7/11/2005 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home